Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.

Isaiah 1:17


Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to care for orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.


James 1:27


Sunday, January 16, 2011

Dema's last night in the children's home!!


I figured I would take this opportunity to share some of the pictures we have received of Dema from the summer of 2005--he would have been 4 years old!

The information we had been given originally said that Dema was placed in the childrens' home when he was 2 1/2, but we have found through official government documents that these pictures were taken shortly after he arrived. 






I don't know that anyone could imagine taking a 4 year old child and putting them in an institution...actually, the court documents say that his birth parents dropped him at a strangers home, and it was those strangers who dropped him at the orphanage.  The information we have says that Dema's birth father is alive and living locally, but he has no home and is an alcoholic.  His mother died when he was only 2.


Ok, enough about the sad past...let's talk about the happy present and his brighter future!!!

Today Mick, Janel, and I took our kids and headed off to the the cinema.  Our hope was to see Rapunzel,  but it didn't work out that way!  Ordering anything here is difficult and frustrating both for us and those we are trying to deal with, but we thought we were doing pretty good here.  When the movie started, it turned out to be a cartoon--something about Cossack super heroes--not Rapunzel!  The kids seemed to tolerate the movie and the adults did get a much needed nap!


We didn't find any of the now infamous caviar pop corn, what we did find was a rainbow colored sweetened pop corn--believe it or not it was too sweet for me!  So, what else could I do but go back and get a bag of the bacon flavored potato chips!  

After the movie we went to a little restaurant that reminded us of a waffle house down south--it was called the potato hut.  When we walked in there were dream catchers, a native American statue, and lots of native American art, and  I had heard that they had the best steaks in Krivoy Rog, but when I saw one, I decided against it--I'm pretty sure it was a center cut out of a round steak and very very well done.  I ended up getting a plate of potato wedges and a 1/4 rack of ribs--they actually were very good!  
And Dema who may eat more than we can grow and produce ate part of my ribs, a pretty big pork chop, a plate of his own potato wedges, some of my wedges, 1 1/2 rolls, and the rest of Andre's steak, and he was hungry within 10 minutes of leaving!

Not wanting to spoil him with my extraordinary cooking skills, I got him a frozen pizza, a couple packs of Ramen noodles, and a bunch of bananas to eat tomorrow--that should hold him over until we meet the rest of the gang for dinner!  
 (That last comment was a bit of sarcasm--I function best when not allowed in the kitchen!!)


Tomorrow Svetta will go with me to the orphanage to bring Dema back to the apartment for the day--8:30 tomorrow morning, the life of an orphan will be in the past!

I told him tomorrow he will be an American boy!




.   
Just a word of advice to any family coming behind us...Cindy is home for this trip, we both thought it best if she stay and take care of the home, the dogs, and the business.  That was a decision that we both regret.

If there is anyway possible, make the time and spend the extra money so that both of you can be here when all of your time and efforts come to an awesome conclusion.  You'll be glad you did!!!


From the time we arrived on December 6th, I have looked forward to this day--the last visit to the children's home, BUT, it wasn't what I had envisioned!  As we headed out to get in the car, the kids were holding on to me, they would not let go.  As families plan to make their trips over, you can not begin to imagine just how excited the kids are for you to be here with them.  Those could have been the most difficult moments of the trip  although it was never said, as they were holding on I could tell the kids were just hoping and praying that I could take them with me...thankfully we will see the majority of these kids again!

 

1 comment:

  1. The pictures as sooo cute! :) Glad you have them...safe travels...L.

    ReplyDelete