Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.

Isaiah 1:17


Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to care for orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.


James 1:27


Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Made it!

After nearly 40 hours on the road I have finally made it to Krivoy Rog!  The trip was pretty uneventful, but some way, some how, when I boarded the Lufstanza plane from Philly to Germany, I found myself in business class...I looked at the seat number, then my ticket--they matched up, but I decided to keep going into the economy section. I figured that the numbers must start over...nope, they didn't!  Now, I know how the other half lives!

When I landed in Germany and went through their security checkpoint, the guard pulled me and my back pack to the side--he said that it showed  a reading of  high levels of "organic matter". (I guess their scanner is more than just an x-ray.)  Well, I told him it was more than likely my zip lock full of ground coffee, but he wanted me to empty the bag and show him.  I started and the first thing I pulled out was my 1000 page book "The Real History of George Washington".  It is a good look at Washington's life through he and his wives diary entries as well as several from the commanders who served under him from the French and Indian Wars through the Revolution.  But anyway, when the guard saw the book he smiled and said oh--George Washington--your good--go ahead!  He never checked the validity of the coffee claim...who knows what kind "organic matter" I could have been carrying!

The Train Station in Kiev
I arrived in Kiev with a little time to catch my breath, then Mick, Janel, Svetta and I headed for the train station.  Mick and I shared a second class booth while Svetta and Janel shared the one right beside us.  We had some good conversation learning about our upcoming schedules, but nearly as important, we began talking about some of the kids we met who don't have families and what we could do to find them homes.  We counted 11 potential kids that we are all actively engaged with.  Keep watching the blogs for updates, introductions, and plenty of pictures!

Mick and Janel are in our old apartment, and I am in Tina's old place, it's only about a 5 minute walk.  Svetta didn't think there was room for them, her, and me in the same place...so here I sit all by my lonesome!  I guess I might as well enjoy the peace and quite while it lasts!

Today, Svetta is getting the official court resolution document and certifying Cindy's power of attorney forms, then she is coming by to get me to go and apply for the new birth certificate.  Hopefully, we can get that done in time for me to visit Dema and the other kids...if so, I'll post again tonight!

2 comments:

  1. So glad you made it safely there! Will pray for a safe and uneventful trip back. Can't wait to hear about the visits! Have fun sleeping in that bed:) The couch may be more comfortable. You have to check out the peacock.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to seeing pictures of the available children.

    Tina

    ReplyDelete