Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.

Isaiah 1:17


Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to care for orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.


James 1:27


Friday, January 14, 2011

Dema's "official" last day as a resident!

  
When Cindy and I were here on our first trip, I seem to remember just a little difficulty adjusting to the time difference--I had several folks tell me that when you travel east the adjustment is easier...I wish someone would have reminded my body and mind!  Since I left on the 9th, I have had only18 hours of sleep!  The night before last, I completely skipped the whole sleeping thing, and tonight as I sit here it is 1:30a.m. and I am wide awake--I went to bed at 7:30pm--I was so exhausted, I just couldn't stay up any longer.  Guess I am awake for the day!




Today Dema had his going away party!  So we went to the pizza shop and got a bunch of pizzas,  then we went to the market and got bacon flavored potato chips,  juice, bananas, paper plates and cups, and of course a cake for the celebration...yes, you read it right bacon flavored potato chips!!!  Why can't we get these in America???  You can knock out 2 of the food groups in one small snack...and man are they good!





Before we ate the teacher had Dema stand up then each of the boys in his group proceeded to stand and share well wishes for him. They each wished Dema health, a loving family, a good life, and plenty of friends in America--it was really great to see considering that there must have been at least a little jealously in each of them.    As Dan stood, Svetta translated that he said, "I love your mama and papa, I know that you will have a good life!"  He really is a special guy--we will really miss him and his sisters!




We ordered pizza with cheese, ham, sausage, tomatoes, sweet peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, and a full layer of basil!  It was kinda neat to watch them eat--the pizza and bananas and juice were enjoyed far more than the sweetness of the cake. 
 I had to employ our first babysitter yesterday!  I had 2 choices--either take Dema from the orphanage and jump a train to Kiev and wait 3 days for the passport so we can begin the final phase of paperwork at the embassy, or stay in Krivoy Rog and keep Dema at the orphanage.  Cindy and I talked before I left and both agreed that the later was the wiser move.   Ukrainian law prohibits foreign parents taking children from their orphanage and staying in the same region for more than 24 hours.
 So, in order for me to be able to stay here where I have the benefit of American friends, a familiarity with the town, and knowing our drivers well enough that we can get where we want to go and do what we want to do (but beyond that,  to be able to keep Dema in a place where can be entertained by friends, live in a familiar environment, and have the structure that he needs). I had to sign a contract requesting that he be allowed to stay there for another 2 days--as a GUEST and not a resident! 

 
Today, our driver Andre will pick Mick, Janel, and I up at 11:00, and we will go to get our kids (that seems strange to say!) we will then head off for the bowling lanes!  We were going to go ice skating, but Vika fell and hurt her ankle so we went to plan "B".  We know Vika likes to bowl, and there are "kid friendly" lanes here in Krivoy Rog.  We are sure that wherever we go, whatever we do,  Dema will just be happy to be with us!   After our bowling venture, we plan on taking the kids out for dinner...anywhere BUT McDonalds!




Tomorrow, our plan is to take the kids to the movie theater!  We're not sure what movie is playing, but we are hoping for an American movie with Russian voice over.  Last time we were here, they were showing the newest Narnia movie in 3D.  The exciting part of this is looking forward to the caviar flavored pop corn! You read it right--no salt and butter here! 



 Early on, there is little chance of field trips for parents and their kids, but as things progress, the rules seem to relax and you have more freedom with the children.

Over the past few days I have been preparing for our big exit--part of that prep work included trips to the video store.  The first store we went to had all 3 of the Narnia movies (including the newest one!)on 1 DVD with Russian voice over...I only paid 25 grivna--about $3 for the three movies.  I learned that "pirate" video stores are not regulated and are everywhere!  The second store we went to I got Star Wars A New Hope, and a video game that teaches English--this was a "new" video store and both totaled less than $10 American!  We will be going to one more store today hoping to find some Mickey Mouse videos!



 Remember Ruslana from postings during our first trip--the girl who begged for a home and a family in America?  Cindy and I were sure her hopes would be realized...well, they have been!!!  That is one more child with the hope of a brighter future in America with a loving family!





Today we only have our driver scheduled until 6:00, so I don't anticipate being able to spend much time with the kids at the orphanage.  Tomorrow will be my last to spend with the kids until they all get home.  They have all become part of our family...they will be missed, but I am already getting excited for our first big family reunion!!!   It will be a great day when we can get together with all of the children from Ukraine who will be joining us in Central PA!






I thought a friend might enjoy this picture--looks like this guy is growing a fine "stash"!   A Tom Selleck  caterpillar or an old west handle bar mustache?? 


(Nope, the smile hasn't stopped yet!!)

1 comment:

  1. What a great story! Thank you for sharing it with us!

    Have a great trip back home (after all paperwork done!).

    With love and blessings,

    Fr. George

    ReplyDelete